View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't remember if we've seen this particular early view of the Plaza Church on NLA.

http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/i...0-e00a18064a99

It's simply labeled "Los Angeles Mission, Los Angeles" at NYPL. (no mention of Plaza Church)

I wonder what that triangular area on the hillside could possibly be? Could it be a fence-
_
I don't know about the sectioned-off area in the distance, unless it could be the cemetery where Cathedral HS stands today.

FWIW the evidence before me strongly indicates the above picture must be from before 1894. I see that the building across the street from the church, and partly visible just to the right of it in the frame, has only one story and is probably made of adobe. By 1894 it was replaced by a two story commercial building, as shown below in a photo from that year.

(waterandpower.org)

ETA: The two-story building was built in 1889 according to an LAT article on the project to open Sunset Boulevard to the Plaza, published on 1912-09-17. Within a month of that date, the Cobenoff bulding, as it was known, was slated to be razed in order to put Sunset through to the Plaza. So Cobenoff's building lasted but twenty-three years, apparently.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Mar 24, 2016 at 5:38 AM.