View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2015, 6:28 PM

What form of Rent control are we talking? I live in a city with zero rent control and am from one that did have it. Whereby rent was capped to a certain percentage year over year.

rents are generally the same between the two, albeit it the sudden rise in rental rates has had a damaging effect on my current city( no rent control what so ever), where it was fairly common to receive a 20-22% increase in rent from year to year.

While i don't believe rent control is a savior, i don't really know that it actually constricts future supply. In fact there is more rental housing being built in the city with rent control than the one that doesn't have it.

SF also has the disadvantage of being really the only one in the region that is heavily urbanized, outside of Oakland which is obvious why it has had its trouble. When I lived in the region I was amazed that a city as massive as SF had so much suburban cities adjacent to it ( I lived in San Mateo).

If tech slows down, migration slows and other cities start urbanizing at a faster rate that will aid in the constriction in supply. Since I'm considering moving to Seattle after I graduate from my masters degree, I hope its a little more calm when I arrive.