View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Since we're revisiting the top of Mt. Lee.

Handsome_Stranger answered my question over 700 pages ago.(see below)

...but his photo is missing.

-luckily I was able to find it again. Here it is folks....the swimming pool atop Mt. Lee

1939 seems awfully early for this photograph.
__
I'm of the opinion that photo was taken in 1939. Don Lee TV station was certainly broadcasting before WW II.

In 1931 Lee was granted a license to begin experimental television broadcasts with station W6XAO in Los Angeles. The station later became KTSL, KNXT and is currently KCBS-TV.

On December 23, 1931, W6XAO went on the air from the eighth-floor transmitter at Seventh and Bixel streets, Los Angeles, at 44 1/2 megacycles, to broadcast one hour daily except Sundays. Later Lee bought the 20 acre ''Mount Lee'' site. The secret key was to get your TV transmitter as high as possible.

From what I've read, television was broadcasting in Los Angeles before WW II. It only operated a few hours per day and most of the TV's were in stores, wealthy homes, bars and hotels. The beginning of WWII put LA TV on hiatus until the end of the War.

Secondly, I don't agree that Noirish LA thread is ''inane". LA, day and night, any year, any time is the definition of noirish. I don't like every post on this thread but so what....that's life. I don't expect people to always post what I like.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jul 28, 2014 at 5:13 AM.