View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
One last thing I'll add before we can switch back to more on-topic conversation, is that the reason I stick to older trucks is that I'm an inveterate cheapskate, and anything newer than 1995 is subject to Quebec's hefty displacement tax, while my trucks cost the lowest possible amount in yearly plates (same price at the tiniest Toyota or Honda). So, every time I start to consider replacing them with newer trucks, after careful consideration, this ends up killing it for me

Anyway, I consider my '93 Sierra to be about as reliable in its current state as any 10-15 years old truck would be; to buy a truck that's new enough to be guaranteed to have zero issues as the next few years pass, I'd have to buy something that's new enough that it would cost me quite a bit in acquisition then depreciation. So at that point, I find there's little actual reliability difference anyway, but I do avoid the displacement tax.
nice trucks Lio! What a coincidence on the year/colour! It won't stay that way, I'm still undecided on the final colour, but it's going to end up a Chevy grill and a fleetside box. If there wasn't so much rust I'd have considered keeping the cilour, but since it will need paint I'll pick something else. I bought this based on my absolutes - had to be a 2 door, short box, automatic, V8, with the older square-style interior. Trim/colour could be variable, and I was willing to fix a lot of stuff as long as the frame and drivetrain were solid. My secondary goal, along with actually owning the truck, was to learn how to work on vehicles. Never got much into it before but these trucks are simple enough mechanically that I can learn how to do things myself on them.

I was just saying this week to my fiancee that I'd love to drive route 66 as a vacation one day.

My DD is a 2014 Silverado that I bought brand new when I was 20. Eventually I'll need to buy a third truck to actually beat on, since the '14 is my baby (but works when it needs to!)

Anyway, yes, back to our grievances...