View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 11:49 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
FYI, if you have easy access to the right kind of soil and water you make make sun baked bricks on your own for the cost of dirt and water.
That is one family of options. I'll have to do the math on whether the ultimate compressive strength matches up with the weight of the material at maximum size. Of course, nothing says I can't mix and match materials and have stronger ones interior to lighter and easier to produce ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
I want to see pics damn it. It's not real until shovels are flying and blocks are piling.
I haven't really done anything yet, but if you must see evidence of physical actions being taken, here are some pics of the paltry results of an initial materials scouting trip (I just wandered around a nearby post-industrial area for a few minutes - this county is crawling with them):

P7110244 by troubadour1, on Flickr

P7110243 by troubadour1, on Flickr

P7110232 by troubadour1, on Flickr

P7110237 by troubadour1, on Flickr

There's a giant pile of large rock shards nearby, but I didn't think that would be as relevant as actual discarded bricks, cinderblocks, and concrete slabs. Am I'm not entirely sure whether that pile lies within the boundaries of a wilderness preserve.