View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
I'd forgotten how crazy that Southern Pacific station was...ethereal, you posted some pix of it, #587, but I got to thinking about it again, since it's ground zero of plague and rats and all that good stuff --

But, I mean, look inside this thing.

USC

This was taken in 1956, about a year before they demolished it. There's a meat packing plant there now.
I didn't realize that old Southern Pacific Station on Central existed well into the 1950s, I guess I assumed it was knocked down not too long after Union Station opened. Seeing where it was located too, you can see that it was in a very industrial part of LA; to think that's what many people saw when they first arrived in L.A. (kinda like back before the 105 freeway existed and we'd pick up visiting relatives from LAX and drive by the Nudes Nudes on Century Blvd.). In that movie "Changeling" I was kinda hoping that they'd somehow recreate the Southern Pacific Station and the area around it, but they didn't.

Speaking of which, yesterday I just finished reading the book "The Road Out of Hell" which literally gave me goosebumps; it's the story of the Wineville Chicken Coop Murders that "Changeling" was based on, but it's from the point of view of the nephew of the child murderer, who had to live with his uncle and who himself was brutally raped and tortured by him and even was forced to help kill some of his uncle's victims. The book really creeped me out. What's amazing about the story is that the nephew was able to live a normal, healthy long life afterwards, though he had nightmares the rest of his life.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jun 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM.