View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 12:29 AM

This afternoon I was all into the Eastland Center. According to that link you provided, Scott, noted LA architect Albert C. Martin designed the Eastland Center, and it opened in 1957.

Here are a few more Eastland Center shots:

westcovinalapuentebaldwinpark.blogspot.com

What I find interesting is that collection of retail: Clifton's Cafeteria, Thom McCan and the Harris & Frank. I would've expected a Florsheim and See's Candies. The family in the parking lot is great, too. And is that a guy in back of them tying his shoe on the bumper of that car? I'll assume that it's his car. There's also something I find contemporary about the aisle number sign.

March, 1958. The May Company at the Eastland Center was knocked down some time in the late 1990s. A Target and Burlington Coat Factory now occupy the site.

Eastland Center mall, 1958. Ultra-modern back then, I'm sure.

Here's downtown Covina in 1952, Christmastime. My assumption is that the malls that were built in West Covina left downtown Covina languishing for some decades afterwards? Today, downtown Covina is a cute area, and also has a Metrolink station. That Covina theater is now the Covina Center For the Performing Arts, though to me, the outside of the building looks remodeled; I don't know what the inside looks like.

~ Charles Bukowski