View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What accounts for the German growth between WWI and WW2?
Anschluss in March 1938 and annexation of the Sudetenland in October 1938.

The census took place in the Third Reich in May 1939. The Third Reich then included the territory of the Republic of Weimar + Saarland + Austria + the Sudetenland. This is the population on which the Third Reich based its war effort (later during the war, they also enrolled the Danziger, the Memeler, the Alsatians, the Mosellans, and a few other, but in 1939 they could count on the male population that I have indicated in my previous post).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
They're measuring from 1939 so not including "Anschluss" territory gained during the war, and the German economy was horrible between the wars. I would assume birth rates would be relatively low.
The Anschluss took place before 1939. As for the birth rates, keep in mind that the male population between the ages of 20 and 39 in 1939 was born between 1899 and 1918. The years immediately before WW1 were those when Germany had the highest number of births in its entire history (there were 2,032,313 births in the German Empire in 1901, the highest number of births ever in Germany).