View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Fire at One World Trade Center under control
Rubbish fires are a fairly common occurrence in the city. Most of the time it's because somebody threw a lit cigarette in a trashcan and sets the trashcan on fire. We carry fire extinguishers on the ambulance and I've put more than a few of them out if we get called for them, or if we're just passing by and happen to see it. The way its described as a rubbish fire makes me think it might have been something along those lines - a lit cigarette that got thrown away, or maybe some sparks from some of the machinery. Either way, it's not that big of a deal.

The only reason why there was such a large response is probably a combination of the celebrity of the tower itself, the fact that it is still under construction where fires can spread notoriously fast (recall the Deutsche Bank fire where 2 firefighters were killed and 115 firefighters were injured), and that the response plan for any incident at the WTC will detail an enormous response by multiple agencies until it is deemed they are not needed (better to be safe than sorry kind of idea).

This shouldn't impede construction of the tower in and of itself, but I can't speak to any delays caused by the halting of construction while the construction company itself conducts an investigation or anything like that. Usually, however, the cause of the fire is pretty apparent.