View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

The Hollywood Blvd. panorama has such great detail. I'm obviously wrong, but I thought the Bank Building on the northeast corner of Hollywood and Highland was already there when the Chinese Theatre was built. Does anyone know the date it was constructed?
Various sources, including emporis.com, list a construction/completion date of 1927 for the Hollywood First National Bank Building at Hollywood and Highland. The panorama either shows an empty lot or the early stages of construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

I'm trying to figure out what that tower structure is being built that Godzilla highlighted. A couple inches to the left of it appears to be the Hollywood Athletic Bldg.
It's the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, Hollywood. From Wikipedia:

"In 1921, the parish paid $75,000 for the land on Sunset Boulevard that is the current home of the church. Benefiting from a Hollywood real estate boom, the church later sold its existing property on Hollywood Boulevard for $300,000.

The new church and school on Sunset Boulevard were designed by Thomas Franklin Power. Power designed the Blessed Sacrament School, which opened in 1923, in an Italian Renaissance style. When the new school opened, its enrollment was 370 students. Power next turned his attention to the new church, which he adapted from the Basilican style of the Italian Renaissance style. The roof, however, was made of tile instead of the flat roof typical of Roman churches. Power designed the interior with flanking arches to be reminiscent of the San Paolo and St. Clement Basilicas in Rome. The new church was dedicated in June 1928. With its 223-foot chimes tower, ornate exterior and seating for 1,400 people, Blessed Sacrament quickly became a Hollywood landmark."

The panorama is dated 1927, so that fits with the 1928 dedication. It's right next to Crossroads of the World on Sunset.

Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

It was one whale of a wedding! And the bridesmaids? (Source suggests probably somewhere in Long Beach)
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics49/00044391.jpg

Save the Whales was clearly not always popular.
BTW, is it just me who thinks the man conducting the wedding in the whale in Tourmaline's post looks like Alfred the butler (Alan Napier) from Batman?

http://batman.wikia.com