View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:05 AM

GSV/LAT

Speaking of the 4000 block of Wilshire... it contains--or did as of the last Google camera pass--one of the last holdouts of the residential boulevard. I haven't yet discovered when it was built, but, judging by the style, it seems it can't have been all that old as of the 1922 auction (although it's always possible that, given its verticality, it was the remodeling of an older house moved to the lot from an eastern neighborhood; in any case, it was not on the lot in 1914).

The only other info I have in my notes, which apparently came from the same series of auction ads, is the come-on that "This property will double in value in ten years or less. The city planning commission has already mapped out improvements for Wilshire Boulevard that will make it the finest boulevard in the country." Not mentioned quite this early was that the trend was commercial, not residential. And yet, somehow, here is still is--at least as of 2011.

As for hosting--I often use imageshack because they come out larger on the thread, but I do know that if you cull your images there, they will disappear here. This does not seem to be the case with images I upload to Picasa on my computer--if I delete those, they seem to stay here. (They're just noticeably smaller.)