View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
an odd, archaic word. perfectly suited here. I'm wondering if you see the serendipitous quality also.

For the Love of Books: The Adventures of an Impecunious Collector, by Paul Jordan Smith

(Oxford University Press, 1934)

How interesting--I didn't know about that book. I see that it was published in 1934, after he and La Bixby Smith divorced and she presumably took back the checkbook...perhaps rendering him impecunious but not bereft.. she ate steak tartar and died the next year of the trichinosis (from the pork remains left on the butcher's meat grinder) while he lived a full life all the way to 1971.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I don't know about the rest of you guys but the truncated pics are pretty much useless to me.
I had almost given up on the USC Digital Library as a resource, finding it clunky to fool with after the site was overhauled--difficult to find pictures rather than old issues of the USC Trojan. I still find it more trouble than it's worth for my purposes, but it looks like BifRayRock has figured the system out. The highly enlarged fragments are interesting as long as there is an accompanying shot of the complete, if small, pic.