View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay's school boards actually did something revolutionary years ago: they established a transportation consortium, combining all of their bus routes so that kids from all school boards rode together on the same routes. Each school board starts its schools at different times so buses can make multiple drop-offs, on-time. Students living within a certain walking distance of the school aren't eligible for bus service.

The other irony is that people are moving to neighbourhoods with no schools, having kids, then complaining about the lack of schools.

School buses are only around for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the afternoon. I don't get why people get so upset about them. You know the real cause of all that traffic? All of the private vehicles with a single person in them.

The most absurd are situations where a couple both work in the same facility or neighbourhood, but both drive separately to work. I have a coworker who lives two blocks away but occasionally will drive to work. I don't have a parking spot at home, so when I get a vehicle I'll probably keep it in the parking lot at work two blocks away.
Many boards across Ontario have done that in recent years. In Kingston we have combined busing. When I was in high school in exurban Ottawa, we had combined busing with the elementary school and Catholic high school starting when I was in Grade 11.