View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

This twelve sided structure was built by Ramon Alexander on Main St. south of 3rd Street. It was used as a kindergarten (see below).

cd of mine

...and eventually a saloon (I have no proof, simply hearsay)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

Exterior view of the Round house, bounded by 3rd and 4th, and Main and Spring Streets, Los Angeles. A woman sits in front on a tricycle. This adobe was built in 1854 by Ramon Alexander as a gift to his Spanish bride, Maria Valdez, daughter of Basilio Valdez, who came to Los Angeles from Spain in 1830. It long housed German immigrant George Lehman's famous beer garden. After the garden closed, the city's first kindergarten was opened here, with Kate Douglas Wiggin as teacher. It was torn down in 1887. Mrs. Anita Alexander Goodwin, daughter of Ramon Alexander, lived on South Flower Street.
LAPL
I don't think we've seen this before. The picture below is titled "Chart of old Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 1931", although I'd have thought that "model" was a more apt description.

USC Digital Library

Here's the accompanying legend. The pictures are dated 1931, but there's no indication of what date the model depicts. Other than item #61, the latest date I can see is "41 Merced Theatre 1869", so I'm guessing it's somewhen around then. The little white triangle between Hill and Broadway in the picture above says "Site of THE BROADWAY".

USC Digital Library

The Round House (Paradise Gardens) is listed as #59. I can't see the number "59" on the model, but based on Tourmaline's description of "bounded by 3rd and 4th, and Main and Spring Streets", I'd say it's the little round building to the left of #58. Incidentally, #58 is listed as "New York Brewery". I wonder if that was tied to the New York Saloon on the NE corner of 3rd and Spring streets which Tourmaline posted here. Today the site of the Round House and New York Brewery is occupied by the Ronald Reagan Building.

Detail of picture at USC Digital Library

BTW. There's a zoomable version of e_r's picture (minus the white circle) in the USC Digital Library