View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hence my reference to Ashley Furniture. It's somewhat bland, unadventurous stuff that is generally well built by modern standards, and it fills a lot of space in a big house.

IKEA is pointless if you live in a 2,000-3,000 square foot home as many Americans do... on the flipside, IKEA is perfect for 600 square foot apartments where you really need to maximize space with compact furniture. As far as I can tell, Americans outside of the dozen or so biggest east coast cities tend have a lot of space unless they're really, really hard up... for example, I recall visiting a neighbourhood in Rocky Mount, NC that looked very down at the heels, but was still filled with 1,500 sf and up 1950s and 60s ranch houses that would go for a million dollars in Toronto.
Hopefully not off topic, but there is no reason that living in a big city means that you have to live in a condo like is the practice in Vancouver & Toronto. Montreal is a great example of that. Denver has really perfected the 3-4 story vertical town home, which gives lots of space and mountain views. Vancouver maybe I can see given geographic restrictions (or not, I don't know well enough), but it seems in Toronto it's more of a policy issue where it's so hard to build that developers go for dozens of stories instead of very livable 3-8 story buildings.