View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 12:23 AM

i was looking for something else, when i stumbled upon this 1892 photo of the old government/post office building located on main street between 4th and fifth at the intersection of winston

USC Digital Archives

whoa..............this is one fine looking building!

some additional images

1893 image

LAPL

looking north up main street from just about where the rosslyn is today. the 1st cupola building is 426 s. main. the towered building in the distance is the westminster hotel at the ne corner of 4th and main

LAPL

I was actually looking for information on the post office building at temple block, nw corner of temple and main. mainly, because i had found this 1863 photo looking from temple block at the spot where the post office will one day sit

USC Digital Archives

this is a similar view taken in 1939 of the post office. (of course in 1939, temple block no longer exists, also, the post office will be demolished later in the year as well). note the hall of justice looming behind the post office.

USC Digital Archives

here's an image looking down from the construction of city hall down on temple block with the post office on the upper left. spring stret still intersects with main and temple prior to re-alignment.

LAPL