View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 9:15 AM

Those are indeed great photos, ethereal.

I'm fascinated by the first one, the one with the Bozzani Motors. That area is now a parking lot. In fact this photo is of the current Chinatown, which used to be LA's Little Italy, so I see the Bozzani connection. The street on the left is Hill Street, leading to the Pasadena Freeway, and the street on the right is North Broadway. At the bottom of the photo, where Broadway curves, is where the old Broadway tunnel was before the hill was leveled; that little building on the corner is the one that still exists and has survived all these years even after the hill and tunnel adjacent to it was removed. You can even see the Little Joe's Italian restaurant on the east side of Broadway, which used to be a 3-story building but was later reduced to one. Though the restaurant has been long closed, the building still exists, as well as the Little Joe's sign. In the background is Cathedral High School, which also still exists but I think it has new buildings. I'm amazed at how dense this area once was, being that there are now many surface parking lots.

~ Charles Bukowski