View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Fascinating detective work, MichaelRyerson!

I'm a bit confused about the Mead house, however - if the year of the photo (1914) is correct, how can the Mead house be present?

Is the date on the car's license plate incorrect? Or did the Mead house take over 3 years to be built?

The eBay seller said “The photos were taken by my grandparents between 1902 and 1918, but as the picture shows his father on the left, it seems the date would be somewhat easy to narrow down... I mean, a four year old looks a lot different than a seven year old...

"This photo taken by my Grandmother about 1914 of my father (age 3 or 4)”

No, I think the child and the license plate date the picture to 1914. But it could be late in the year. And it's hard to tell exactly what 1917 has to do with the Mead house. Could be the date permits were pulled, making it less likely it would show in this shot but it could also be the date certificates of Completion or Certificates of Occupancy were issued meaning it could be here in 1914. Also construction on these large houses was a long process. The Leon Kaufman house overlooking the Pacific Coast Highway took five full years to completion. Also my source for the 1917 date is simply a realtor's brochure so not the most compelling source material. Maybe Hoss will happen along and pull a permit on the Mead address for us. For what it's worth, I'm pretty convinced this is the Mead house. Update: I've found an article listing Hudson & Munsell Architects for the period 1905 through 1935 and shows 1914 as the date of the Mead house. But again, we're left with not knowing what exactly they are saying has happened in 1914.

Here's the Kaufman Mansion...

View of Pacific Coast Highway from the top of a cliff, ca.1931

This lovely view looking north from Castellammare shows the front façade of the Leon Kaufman Mansion, Villa Leon or Villa de Leon, which was designed by noted architect Kenneth MacDonald, took over five years to build at a cost of one million dollars, being completed in 1928. Mr. Kaufman, who made his fortune in wool, and his wife, Clemence, moved into the property but did not live to enjoy it, she passed in 1933 and he in 1935. Thereafter, it sat vacant and unoccupied for nearly twenty years selling at auction in the mid-fifties for $71,000. It is often mistaken for the Getty Mansion which sits well back from the coast highway.

USCdigital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Jul 31, 2019 at 5:41 PM.