View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
If you had a billion dollars, it would be a full time job trying to avoid making money again if that were your goal. Even at the silly-low rates paid on savings accounts these days, the interest on a billion would count as "making money". About all you could do to avoid it is emulate my favorite cartoon character:

http://www.101qs.com/559-money-bin
I thought I would just put a lot of the money in non-interest earning checking accounts, to be honest. Maybe my hypothetical billion would drop to just multi-millions... much easier to divvy up into non-interest earning checking accounts. No income earned, no income tax to pay, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Do you enjoy packing?

Personally it’s one of my most hated activities. And one of the nice things about owning a bunch of houses is that you don’t have to do it, you just leave your own shit in all of your various homes. That alone is worth it, if we’re talking about someone with a ten-figure net worth. Just buy X of everything.
I hate packing. Which is why I travel light.

When I backpacked across Europe for six weeks in my 20s, I traveled very light, and used laundromats, which I actually thought was fun, watching the locals (and sometimes even conversing with them) while they did their normal everyday things. Sometimes, at some of the cheap hotels that I stayed at, if they offered the service, I had them do my laundry for me.

If I had a billion dollars, I could just buy what I needed when I got to my destination. I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy; if I were that wealthy, once the t-shirt starts fraying, I would just chuck it and buy another.

One thing I've learned over the years (thanks to my Buddhist partner), is that the fewer attachments you have, the more free you are. Like the Janis Joplin song says, "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

But yeah, the more attachments you have, the more weighed down and worried you are. I would not want to worry about more than one house. I'd rather be free to roam the earth.

~ Charles Bukowski