View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 6:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The tone of the questions asked by the Coast reporter was along the lines of reducing the tuition for foreign students, implying they are being ripped of when they come here. Apparently the reporter is ignorant of the way universities get funded. Clueless reporter, apparently.
I think it might often be the opposite here in Vancouver. As far as I can tell, independently wealthy people who move to Canada end up with a very low tax burden because they don't have any official income or pay capital gains (and, if you believe the complaints of the Chinese government, a lot of them are not paying their taxes back home...). It used to be comparatively easy to qualify for permanent residency, and those families could enroll their kids in universities and pay the domestic tuition rates. At any rate, this place is more diverse and does get more immigrants but that doesn't mean that life is all sunshine and rainbows here. Housing affordability and access to good quality university spots are both worse here than in Halifax.

That relates back to this confused comment:

Nova Scotia sometimes isn't the most diverse or culturally sensitive place to be

Are they talking about Halifax or Nova Scotia? It's a story about the mayor. Why does it matter that Nova Scotia isn't the most diverse place? Is China bad because it is mostly Chinese people? It is good to be culturally sensitive and accepting to visitors or immigrants but I haven't seen much evidence that Halifax is any worse than other places. I can't speak for the Canso type places but whether or not they are accepting is a moot point since so few people want to move to rural areas in the first place.