View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 10:57 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I think the same thing is going to happen to Philadelphia like what's happening to NYC right now. It's just a matter of time. The places where you've seen declines in population within the city has been in mostly black areas in Philadelphia. Center City, along w/ University City, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, Northern Liberties, portions of South Philly, and now Fishtown are considered the hot spots in Philly as far as real estate is concerned.

I don't really see gentrification spreading any further to North Philly (other than Templetown, Brewerytown, and Strawberry Mansion), West Philly up to 52nd St, and South Philly up to Washington Ave, especially since condo towers are being built or is being planned to be built (Mandeville???)

As a black man, it's really no surprise why hundreds of thousands of blacks are moving out of places like NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and even Philadelphia. However, as a black man of Trinidadian descent, I can't really understand why many African Americans would simply abandon Northern cities for the South, which is the cheapest place in America. Se of the reasons make sense (family, retirement, slower pace of life, lower quality of life, etc.), but you would think that w/ the amount of political power in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Detroit, that the African American political leaders would do something to stop what might be a black brain drain to cities like Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, and worse, Atlanta. Especially since the North and the West still commands a higher salary in comparison to the South.
*sigh*