View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
you are absolutely right GW about it being western and sunset, and not washington.

i didn't notice the sign saying fox studios until you pointed it out. here's an aerial of the fox studios, (before merging with 20th century), at the intersection of western and sunset

LAPL

the 1st image i posted was captioned on the USC site as being western and washington. i got all excited, as there was a clump of trees, that would be on the correct side of the road, that if it was a view looking south from washington, would have been about the spot of the elusive berkeley square.........

the search continues.............................
Well, I've compiled an entire notebook on Berkeley Square, its houses and inhabitants, but more than a few photographs do remain elusive... Until they surface, I'll try to find out more about the house in the grove at the top of the picture. (Los Angeles never lacks for quarry in the study of the built environment, does it?) Is this the 19th-century Warner estate I've read about--is this house in the grove the original center of the Warner property, the creeping development of which shows in this picture ? I know I've read that Carlton Way and Harold Way were named for Warner's sons-- this Warner, btw, isn't related to the studio brothers-- anyway... anyone have more on this Warner tract in Hollywood?