View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:57 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
They are not trying to set up shop...they are already here! Get Me https://www.getme.com/ has existed in Austin for a while now. They moved their headquarters here from Dallas last year. They have already said that they are staying.

Uber and Lyft will eventually come back, but in the meantime, they are just giving up market share to these guys. Some of that market share may be tough to get back once Get Me (and possibly others) become entrenched. I agree, they aren't making a smart business move if you ask me.
The problem with Get Me is that I've heard it's much more expensive, as one of the posts I came across broke down the numbers and in some cases is 4x more expensive than either Uber or Lyft. On top of that, the service isn't as good. Your not going to see a whole lot of transfer if the cost of running their service isn't reasonable and it's not going to be in the same price range because that extra cost of going with the city's regs are being handed down to the customer. I don't know anything nor have I read anything about the other company to say anything about it.

I was split on this vote because I can see both sides but it came down to how I've seen Uber and Lyft change the community for the better in all honesty. We have seen a decrease in drunk driving accidents and DUIs and that's the main reason why I voted yes. The next reason would be a whole lot of people who don't have a car or live near a bus line have started relying on Uber and Lyft to get to work ect... Taxis may be okay for just going down the street but they are really pricey these days. Last time I took a taxi from DT home, it was just over 20 bucks...I only live about 4.3 to 4.5 miles from DT. I was shocked.

I'm all for alternatives and I hope these other companies can take over some of the load. There will be customers who will switch over but I don't see a majority of people using it unless prices go down.