View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Looking for color photos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
The NBC Studios on Sunset & Vine, as well as the Sunset & Vine area, has been featured in many posts on NLA.
I know this photo of the lobby mural has been posted before:

LAPL

I have also mentioned before that I’ve been looking for a color photo of the mural and, so far, no luck. It was painted by Ed Trumbull, while in his fifties, and it appears he painted many other murals in public buildings in San Francisco, Chicago and Philadelphia, among others, including the mural on the ceiling of the iconic Chrysler Building in New York City. (It was painted on canvas and cemented to the ceiling!) There’s also many photos of the murals, in color, too. That’s probably due to the fact that they are all still around. But, in my opinion, in the twenty-five year existence of the NBC Building, someone must have taken a photograph of this mural in color!

Edward Trumbull, American artist (1884 - 1968)

Edward Trumbull was born in Michigan and raised in Connecticut. He attended the Art Students’ League of New York and studied in London under the noted muralist, Frank Brangwyn. Trumbull’s style as a muralist was traditional, and he was best known for his ease of bright and varied colors. A long time resident of Pittsburgh, Trumbull painted panels for the Heinz Administration Building in Pittsburgh and used “The Three Rivers” that converge at the city as the theme for the ceiling of the lobby of the Chrysler Building in New York. Two of his murals, located in the South Office building of the Pennsylvania Capitol Complex, are smaller versions of the murals he painted for buildings in Pittsburgh.

Ed Trumbull on the left....1911. [Frank Brangwyn, artist, on the right.]

Rogallery