View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 7:14 PM

Los Feliz Manor(?)/"Egyptian" House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Last image by H Schultheis, probably has nothing to do with Griffith other than its nearby location and the fact that it is dated (1937). It looks well constructed and very livable. Notably, it sports an orb that could have been sourced from one of your favorite street lights - when no one was looking!

1937 - "A brick building on Vermont Avenue [on Mt. Hollywood] on the way to Griffith Park." Herman J. Schultheis Collection

Thank you for posting the caption on the Griffith Park building. Not much to go on. I sent the photo to Jack Feldman over at the Water and Power Museum. He's out of the country for another 2 or 3 weeks but will check around when he gets back to see if he can identify it. I don't know how to contact anyone at the LAPL.

The Egyptian style house was interesting, particularly the relief over the door:

Herman J. Schultheis Collection

The West got a case of Egypt-mania after boy-king Tutankhamun's tomb was discovered in late 1922. It influenced fashion, design (like the original Camel cigarette packet) and most obviously and importantly architecture as we are all well-aware. Egyptian-inspired design blended with French Deco to produce some of our best buildings here.

We even have a tiny "Egyptian" house here in the neighborhood (2050 Glendon Ave at Mississippi)
It could use a pair of palms IMHO:

gsv

I thought it was a goner when a light plane crashed into a particularly knarly old palm on that corner a few months back
with a spectacular explosion, but the tree and the houses survived, unlike the pilot.

gsv

All of which gives me the excuse to post a favorite detail from a favorite apartment complex.
I don't know if "Villa La Jolla" (La Jolla at Oympic) was built before or after Central Library:

gsv