View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2014, 4:12 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Do all Northern Ontarians act as petutantly as you? Maybe if you people weren't so childish, you might have gotten your twinned highways by now, which was something I wholly supported until I read this moronic post.
Ah, the classic "I'll only support you if you're obedient" trope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
As for why twinned highways don't exist in Northern Ontario already, is because the region is constantly ignored by GTA-centric Ontario until an election rolls around.
Southern Manitoba has twinned highways. Saskatchewan has twinned highways. New Brunswick has twinned highways. Newfoundland doesn't have a fully twinned network, but the highways around St. John's are much better than those around Northern Ontario's large cities. Pretty much anywhere you go in Canada, cities with 100,000 people or more have better developed highway infrastructure than those in Northern Ontario (and London, which not only gets forgotten in highway funding but in transit funding as well).

It's kind of ironic that Western is Lakehead's rival in inter-university sports. That's the city we probably have the most in common with in Southern Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I don't want to see the province split up. The North is the only region with any reason to, but they would have to support way to much infrastructure and way too many isolated communities for it to be viable.
Somehow, Newfoundland and Saskatchewan are able to do it. If we develop the Ring of Fire, we'd probable be able to make it on our own. Especially since, if we were separate, all of the revenue would stay in the north. As it is, all of the money will go to Queens Park before we get a share.

But I can't really buy the concern from Southern Ontario that the North "will struggle" on its own. Ontario and Manitoba fought over us because of our resources, and it isn't much different today, except Manitoba is out of the picture. If we cost that much to be a part of Ontario, why does Ontario not want us to leave? Altruism?