View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
I could do it, but considering how low-resolution the photo is, coupled with the fact that Beaudry is probably buying it, I think it's best to see how the sale pans out first.

EDIT: I see that the auction has already ended. Did you win it, Beaudry? eBay doesn't give the names of the bidders.
Oh yeah, bought and paid for! I'll put up four or five of 'em once they get here in a few days.

Just ran across something I didn't know existed. I was already familiar with the three shots at Sacramento of one of my fave Deco buildings, William Richards' 1931 State Mutual Building & Loan, once wedged between Title Guarantee and Temple Auditorium. Richards, of Dodd & Richards fame, worked a lot in the Streamline vernacular after the death of William J. Dodd in 1930.

cal state library

...dig the bas-relief of these guys by Salvatore Cartaino Scarpitta, sitting around the State Mutual building, on the State Mutual building.

Anyway, not part of that set, and just stumbled upon, is this interior:

cal state library

Decoriffic, right? What really got me was the wallpaper frieze, which appears to be of modernistic "City of the Future" towers rendered in that vaguely Hugh Ferriss way delineators of the late 20s liked to...delineate.

Maybe it's not paper, but all hand-painted? Who would have done that sort of work? And I wonder if it lasted through to its 1985 demolition.