View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 5:51 PM
them bones

A few things:

Within metro Phoenix, you are automatically driving between everything (except on the train between DT Phoenix and Tempe), but that's not necessary a bad thing.

One of the coolest things about driving around Phoenix in general is the number of natural promontory points throughout the city. You don't have to find parking garages to get views. So in between hitting downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale or Tempe, I would suggest driving on McDowell near 64th street through Papago Park (I would actually suggest Pagago to everyone - Hole in the Rock), 7th Street north of Dunlap near the Pointe, South Mountain Park and lastly one that would require about an hour of time: Tempe Butte in downtown Tempe. A quick easy walk to the top, amazing views all the way around the Valley and totally worth your time if you hit it at sunset.

If you really want to see the most 'urban' area of Phoenix that might actually be active on a Thursday afternoon / evening, then Tempe is your best bet. Aside from the bars, Scottsdale empties out after 5pm and isn't actually that walkable. DT Phoenix has some things to see, but be prepared for how disappointing it can really be. And the capital building is really a 10 minute drive, park, shoot and leave operation. Not terribly interesting. And it's not terribly convenient to walk to from the center of DT.

I do highly suggest driving down Central Avenue from Dunlap Avenue all the way into downtown. It's about 8 miles but gives you a great cross-section of the center of the city. And despite its suburban qualities, north Central looks really cool all lit up (Wilshire Blvd-esque).

Doesn't sound like you will have a great deal of time though. Hopefully you don't also have to drive your friend BACK to LV after the game.