View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2010, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay

This photo really got me interested in learning about the site of the Subway Terminal Building, being that I'm fascinated by the history of transportation in LA.

Apparently it was the Pacific Electric's Hill Street Station. Here are other images of it:

Circa 1922

LAPL

Circa 1920. This was the photo I saw some time ago that I happened upon but didn't remember the locale:

USC Archive

You can read about it here: Pacific Electric Hill Street Station

Here are some pics of the station inside the Subway Terminal Building, all courtesy of LAPL:

Alfred Vick, head gateman at the Pacific Electric Subway Terminal Building, waits to close them on May 24, 1946, due to a rail strike.

The last passengers to buy tickets home on May 24, 1946, from the Pacific Electric's Subway Terminal, before a rail strike.

Two Pacific Electric employees return the last running streetcar to the Subway Terminal Building as a transit strike is about to begin. Photo dated: May 24, 1946.

Interior view of the Subway Terminal building with its coffered ceilings and porcelain columns. Building is unusually crowded with people buying tickets or boarding cars, because of the transit strike.

1946. There's no room available on the 5:22 Pacific Electric Red Car leaving the Subway Terminal Building for Van Nuys. It's the last car of the evening. A man in front reads the Herald Examiner whose headline is "Rail Strike Begins; Station's Trains Tied Up". Overhead advertisements include "Bestform Brassiere", "Ex-Lax" and "Police Shok", a show at the Shrine Auditorium.

~ Charles Bukowski