View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:13 AM

Purely conjecture -

But it looks like they simply removed the pumps, threw up three walls and enclosed it.

As to the window removal - Happens pretty much everywhere when a neighborhood goes on the shnide. If you look at Jansen's then-and-now of the "crash-victim" at Dillon and Beverly - almost all the first-floor windows have been plastered over there too.

Lastly ---that funny looking tree next door to The Rex..... I think it's a Bunya Bunya tree. Native to Australia, you see a few of them here and there. They have an interesting habit of dropping most of their lower limbs as the tree grows. Looks something like a Norfolk Island Pine, which you do see more of.

Remember you had a LOT of former Midwest farmers who came out here in late 1800s and early-mid 1900s. And you can imagine that, being farmers, they were geeked-stoked-amped-excited about the prospect of growing and experimenting with exotic plants and trees that wouldn't grow in Dubuque. (Think about how many gardens and arboretums and such were established during this time).

I can only recall seeing it in older neighborhoods. It's an ungainly bird, not at all currently favored by landscapers, and was probably planted more as a novelty than anything else.

PS...I went back and took a look at that pic of The Rex...with the vacant lot to its left. What was there before? I'm betting a house...but why was it cleared? That palm tree is +/-60 feet tall......and that pic was obviously taken in the 20s.....which means that palm tree dates from 1875 or thereabouts. (It takes them about 50 years to get that tall.) Who or what was at that south end of Bunker Hill back in the 1870s, I wonder? That was pretty much the end of town in the 1870s wasn't it?

The problem with this thread (if it is one): For every answer come two new questions. LOL

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2814

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
sopas_ej
You have a great eye.
The gabled bungalow is definitely still there, but I can't decide about the corner building.

I believe the white building (Banner & Sign Factory) is the same building as in the 1951 photograph.
The dimensions seem identical.....but I have no idea why anyone would want to cover over those great windows.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2814

Last edited by malumot; Feb 11, 2011 at 5:44 AM.