View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
And it vexed me for the longest time because it didn't match Bunker Hill topography I knew of, until first of the Hill historians, NLA's rick m pointed out to Carolyn Cole that this was California Street, making this by rights Fort Moore Hill. (Rick points out as much in this post.)
That's one of the reasons I posted a question a few days ago, asking about the boundaries of the various downtown hills.

Eventually, I realized that such a resource might not exist - so I decided to make one myself!

So I took this November 29, 1933 image from FrameFinder (231 MB), cleaned it up a bit, and added in layers in Photoshop:

First, street names in yellow.
Next, points of interest in blue.
Then, the path that the freeways would eventually take, in green.
And finally, highlights of the various hills.

For the outline of Bunker Hill, I used the boundaries you get when you enter "Bunker Hill, Los Angeles" into Google Maps:

As for Court Hill and Fort Moore Hill, I simply outlined the areas where you can actually see a hill in photographs of the period:

(At the bottom of the above photo, you can see the streets that HossC so kindly provided me the names of in a previous post. Thanks again, Hoss!)

Here is a very small snapshot of my completed image (the original is huge), complete with all street names, outline of freeways, points of interest, and outlined "hill" neighborhoods, each in a different layer.

What do you folks think? Are my boundaries of the "hill" neighborhoods accurately presented?

PS: odinthor and Beaudry - forgive me, somehow I missed seeing your posts on this the previous page until right now - I only found them when I went back to copy the URL to link directly to HossC's post.

Very interesting research and commentary. I am inclined to agree with you, odinthor, when you say the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I just wanted to pass along that, in contemplating Bunker Hill in the abstract, the name belies its origin: It seems to be the case that what we call Bunker Hill isn't actually named for a particular hill, but rather for a real estate project which was called the Bunker Hill Development
Court Hill and Fort Moore Hill are clearly defined by, well, obvious hills. But "Bunker Hill" appears to be less easily defined by the topography; a name which describes a region of real estate, rather than any actual physical markers.

Last edited by Scott Charles; Mar 10, 2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: minor correction