View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

I was hoping you folks might be able to help me out with some street names...

The period I am asking about is post-straightening, pre-freeway. So, if any one of you would be kind enough to assist me, please take a look at the City of Angels on August 14th, 1941...

The 1921 Baist map is pre-straightening, but the streets you've asked about weren't affected by the straightening.

1 is (as you suspected) Market Street.
2 is the top of Commercial Street.
3 is the top of Aliso Street.
4 (going up the side of the Arcadia and Baker Blocks) is Arcadia Street.

The "hot pink" street in the second image is indeed California Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

By the way, the detail shots above come from a beautiful aerial image at UC Santa Barbara's FrameFinder. They don't seem to allow direct links, but you can go to this link and search for "City Hall Los Angeles". Once it zooms you in, scroll around until you find the the red dot in the middle of Los Angeles Street, between Temple and Aliso. Click it, and the popup window will look like this:

FYI: the file size of the download is over 231 megabytes. If you'd just like to see a nice, 1.8 megabyte jpeg of the photo, click here.
I only realized a couple of days ago that you could link directly to UCSB images. Simply right-click the "Download" link, select "Copy Link Location" (or whatever similar phrase your browser uses) and paste this as your link.

The very large (>200 Mb) images are stored at 16 bits/pixel. You can make the files considerable smaller by reducing them to the more usual 8 bits/pixel grayscale format with no obvious loss of quality. As an example, I flattened a 207 Mb image, reduced it to 8 bits/pixel, and the resultant file was only 34.5 Mb (I can get it down to 26 Mb using TIFF ZIP compression).