View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 12:21 PM

A Question About Street Names...

I was hoping you folks might be able to help me out with some street names...

The area is just east of City Hall. The problem is, this area has been shifted around several times. In the first version of the neighborhood, Spring Street veered east when it hit First Street. In the second version of the area, Spring Street was straightened out to build City Hall. Finally, things got shuffled around again when the 101 freeway was built.

The period I am asking about is post-straightening, pre-freeway. So, if any one of you would be kind enough to assist me, please take a look at the City of Angels on August 14th, 1941...

Street #1 should be Market Street, yes? I can see the turret of the Amestoy Building right on the corner of Market and Main.

But what about 2, 3, and 4? These streets are where the 101 freeway is now, or close enough to it that things have been highly reconfigured.

I'm assuming that these streets are either Ducommun St or Commercial St or Aliso St... maybe even Arcadia St..?

- - -

And then there's this street, highlighted in hot pink, which lies right in the middle of the current-day 101 freeway. Is it California Street? Or something else?

Many thanks in advance! These are the only streets I don't understand in the entire DTLA area, I promise!

PS: It's so sad seeing the empty lot where the beautiful County Court House used to be...

- - -

By the way, the detail shots above come from a beautiful aerial image at UC Santa Barbara's FrameFinder. They don't seem to allow direct links, but you can go to this link and search for "City Hall Los Angeles". Once it zooms you in, scroll around until you find the the red dot in the middle of Los Angeles Street, between Temple and Aliso. Click it, and the popup window will look like this:

FYI: the file size of the download is over 231 megabytes. If you'd just like to see a nice, 1.8 megabyte jpeg of the photo, click here.