View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
Interesting. If you have a link, I'd be curious to see the methodology, which I think may be somewhat misleading here.

As an example, being familiar with the Montreal market, this looks to me like they're simply adding up headcount from financial industry employers (banks, fund managers mostly). So a Desjardins would contribute something like 20-30k to this total, even though a vast majority of those would be support employees (IT mainly).
Whereas markets like NYC have very little backoffice on-site, and tend to offshore/nearshore a lot more. So a much higher proportion of NYC's 450k are core finance roles, compared to Montreal's for instance.

That's cool if you want to measure "headcount in companies operating mainly in finance and banking", not so great if you're looking for "number of financial services professionals". There are a lot more than twice as many of those in HK than in Mtl, for starters.
That's exactly what it is. 277,000 represents around 8% of the workforce in Toronto, so it's not just financial services professionals.

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/in-fa...ancial-sector/