View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 8:09 AM

Finally caught up!

I have finally made it all the way through this thread.

I see that LA Space Cadet trumped me a bit on one of the panoramas, back on page 80. Man, so much to keep up with.

I guess I've lived in LA long enough now - 19 years?! - that I've lived near many of these places and certainly recognize more. I started out on the West side, and kind of progressively moved east, including stints in Mid-City (close to the Paul R. Williams house in post #1385), Koreatown (near Perinos, from the same post), and now Mount Washington.

So glad you posted those Mount Washington photos, Ethereal. Cool pictures in post #1490; I've seen a number of those, but not the copy of "The Mt. Washington Eagle." That's very cool. I so wish that funicular was still in use in Mt. Washington. I'd take it every day down to the subway (well, light rail, I guess).

I take the Gold Line light rail to work most mornings, and also ride my bike sometimes. So, your posts and film clip (from "This Gun for Hire") on the Cornfield, post #1376, are intimately familiar to me. I don't think I knew quite the extent of the railyards that were located there. I'm still trying to find any footings or trace of the footbridge that went across them, that you can see in the movie.

Kanhawk, post #1580: Looks like those delinquents who led the police on an 8-mile chase may all have lived to a ripe old age:

Delinquents by jonathanv_00, on Flickr

Richard Handt: There's a Richard Handt, age 65+, living in San Fernando. That would place his birth somewhere in the mid- to early 1930s. If this picture was taken in 1951, figure he may be 16-17 years old here, born in 1934 or so.

Ernie Smith: Way too common of a name, but there is one, 65+, living in the Mid-City area.

Donald Finwall: Looks to be one between 65 and 75, living in Redding. Maybe he had enough of the bad crowd he was running with; that Ernie Smith is definitely the troublemaker of the bunch.

Fourth name is hard to make out - Jack Ervington, perhaps? That comes up empty, but there's a John Elkington, 65+, in Foster City, CA. So, looks like they all may have lived to a ripe old age.

Someone mentioned the Dragon's Den, in post #1368. The interior is now at the Autry Museum, in Griffith Park, next to the LA Zoo. It's part of an exhibit on a Chinese family's history in Southern California. I knew that name sounded familiar when I saw it on the side of the building in the photo. I don't really remember if they brought over the murals, too, or just all the menus, cookware, etc. I did find one picture of the interior, but instead of stealing her bandwidth, here's a link to the "On Gold Mountain" website, based on a book of the same name by Lisa See: http://apa.si.edu/ongoldmountain/ Click on "Gallery 5, The Dragon's Den." There are a lot of other cool pictures on that site, too.

And, finally my own Then and Now, of the Figueroa Tunnels in the 1930s, and today:
Then:

FigTunnelsLARiver1930s by jonathanv_00, on Flickr

Now:

FigTunnelsLARiverToday by jonathanv_00, on Flickr

Not the best picture, but the best I can do without a balloon or an airplane!