View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 11:56 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
^ I know this.

Hence why I said "hopefully at the next elections."

Investing taxpayer money in sports franchises or stadiums is never worth while for the taxpayer. We have seen this countless times.

In 2015, Temple University economics professor Michael Leeds argued that if all of Chicago's professional teams (the Bears, Bulls, White Sox, Cubs and Blackhawks) suddenly disappeared at the same time, the impact of their departure on the city's economy would amount to a fraction of 1%.

One of the latest studies to this effect has just been published. Conducted by economist and researcher J.C. Bradbury, the study examines the economic impact of Truist Park, the new stadium the Atlanta Braves moved to in 2017. This new stadium is located in Cobb County, far from the city center. Originally, project promoters argued that visitors from Atlanta would inject huge sums of money into the local economy.

However, figures compiled since the stadium opened show that sales tax revenue has indeed increased in Cobb County. However, the increase was likely due to the overall health of the economy as neighboring counties recorded, on average, higher revenue increases than Cobb County.
I agree with you. While I do not support massive expenditures, people need a little fun! And other cultural infrastructures get money in various forms... sports should benefit as well.