View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
OK, BifRayRock's and Chuchaluck's photographs are again jigsaw puzzles on my computer.
I know we've discussed this numerous times in the past. What do I have to do on my end to correct this problem?

I know it's possible because I just noticed if I go to 'quote' a past post, and then keep scrolling down to previous posts on the same page, the photographs that were once 'jigsaws' are correct. So why don't they appear that way the first time around?
__

I use Windows Vista..Google Chrome.
It's because the images are being hotlinked to the relevant libraries (USC, Huntington etc.), and they split their images up into squares which are 512 pixels x 512 pixels. The result is that some of the larger images are made up of as many as six or nine pieces. That would be fine if everyone had the same screen size, but we don't. On smaller screens the last piece on a line wraps around onto the line below, while on higher-resolution screens it's possible for more pieces to fit on a line than originally intended, and we end up with a mess. You can sometimes work around this by zooming in or out (usually Ctrl+ and Ctrl- on Windows browsers), but this isn't ideal.

The best solution is to screengrab the images from these sites rather than hotlinking. This means that a (free) image hosting site like Photobucket, Flickr, ImageShack etc. must be used, but it's the best way to do it. Firstly, the image is a single block, so it won't become a jigsaw. Secondly, it preserves a copy of the original image even if the original image disappears or the site reorganizes its image locations. This is especially true of sites like eBay where images have a very short lifespan - I've noticed fairly recent posts on NLA (less than two months old) where hotlinked eBay images are already missing. I hope someone is still archiving the pages!

I'm well aware that for some members, the two paragraphs above may as well have been written in a foreign language. Please feel free to send me a PM for further instructions, or post your queries in the forum so that other members can chip in with help and advice. I'm sure we all have different ways of reaching the goal.

While I'm throwing my two cents in, can I also make a plea for members to stop quoting entire image-heavy posts, especially when they're only adding one or two new images. Please try to reduce your quote to a relevant image or two so we know what you're talking about. The little blue arrow to the right of the original poster's name inside the quote provides a link back to the original post for anyone who wants to check it out. For the record, this issue was first raised as far back as page 403/404. Again, feel free to PM me if you want a quick run-through.