View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Well, "Too Much Johnson" is certainly an intriguing title (can there be too much?)...anyway, I couldn't find the Chinatown locations...got sidetracked in another film by that name--by Orson Wells, no less, made in 1938 with Joseph Cotten...in a very convincing silent-screen style. I thought at first the 1938 "Johnson" might have LA locations, but it seems to be all NYC. Ok...back to Monty Banks...maybe.

The poster of the youtube clip that this view appears in says it's a Monty Banks film, while commenter says no. Anyway, here's 119 or so N. Larchmont in something called "The Dummy Postman", and now... I noticed the MALIBU POTTERIES sign...

Good find GW!

Isn't it great how the internet can lead a person down so many interesting rabbit holes.

I watched "The Dummy Postman" and one of the next films up on youtube was Monty Banks' (billed Monte Banks here) 'Jealous Husband'.

Here's an attractive building that briefly appears in the film.

youtube

Does anyone recognize it?

Back to that original Chinatown photograph.

Yesterday, I mistakenly used the incomplete wikipedia list of Monty Banks films in which no 1920 films appeared (on the list).

IMDB has a much more extensive list. Below are Monty Banks films from 1920 (the year of the 'mystery' photograph)

1920 Don't Park Here (Short) A Rival
1920 The Kidnapper's Revenge (Short)
1920 Nearly Married (Short)
Count Up / Mac Aroni
1920 His Naughty Night (Short)
1920 A Flivver Wedding (Short)
1920 A Rare Bird (Short)
1920 Duck Inn (Short)
1920 A Hero 'n Everything (Short)
1920 The Garage (Short)

Sorry for leading you astray. (but look at all those new possibilities! )

here's the 1920 photo again.

location filming in los angeles

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 31, 2017 at 4:46 AM.