View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post

Hunter, its interesting that you say this. Look at the most recent supportive housing (now that's an interesting euphemism) built on Main street where the city has socially engineered housing right next to renovated market rate (e.g. gentrified) housing. I'm sorry to have to say this but with this misguided concept you have an environment where people live because they worked hard to save and buy and yet you have people who are allowed to live in this same environment because they are drunks, druggies and/or mentally ill. I know this sounds harsh, but I work in the alcohol and drug counseling field. The misguided leaders of this city think that by integrating this population into the mainstream they will somehow magically change their behavior. What their doing is patronizing a population, treating them like children and giving them special rights and privileges which they have not earned. Essentially what the city (with the help of the equally misguided ACLU) is doing has been tried over and over again and it doesn't work.
I agree with you completely. I think about it all the time... Lofts at Rowan go for the mid $400,000s, while right up against the back of it we're giving the homeless apartments for free? Classic LA city planning right there.

I'm going to try and get some new photos tomorrow or Wednesday - not much excitement going on in DTLA in regards to construction at the moment.