View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
From that article:
"Riverkeeper said the erosion will stop on its own when it finds the natural banks of the river."

I think we need a new Riverkeeper that understands why straight rivers end up looking like snaky bendy rivers - hint: Rivers constantly erode their natural banks.
I know the article is 5 years old and maybe they have done more studies since then. What I do know is that no engineer, no mater how good they think they are, can predict outcomes in the natural world. There are just too many variables. What I do get a kick out of the most is the Riverkeeper people keep saying they are restoring the river to it's natural state. No your not. You can't. We built a city next to it and filled it in with rocks and dykes and dumps and whatever. So spending 62 million or whatever it was to increase flow rate will make an unknown problem even more unknown. What was the problem of waiting another 5 or 10 years to see what might happen with erosion? What if we have a record rainfall season and we increased the flow rate... and put a new treatment plant right in "the bend" and that gets washed out and raw sewage ends up flushing back and forth, up and down the river? Yah, I know it's unlikely but whats wrong with being patient? Rant off.