View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Los Angeles deserves to have the olympics (again). LA proves itself to be a real international super- city, unlike the city up north which pretends it is international but is actually very provincial and fuddy duddy. You should have heard the uproar over the possibility of SF being an olympic city a few years ago. I think it was the day everyone forgot to take their blood pressure meds. And just recently, with the Lucas museum losing out to LA, the bay area populace is basically celebrating it. SF is a city to go to sip wine and go to bed at 9pm. I wish SF could be as exciting and less stick up the ass like LA, but, it is what it is. LA seems to be on a roll lately!
As a native 4th gen. Californian, I am rooting for LA in 2024
Uh that's a load. The reason that SF didn't want the Games is that it didn't see it as a good return on investment. More hassle than it's worth really. The Bay Area is far more compact and the impact would be far greater than in LA. And the infrastructure created there would not have been as beneficial to adaptation for future uses as it will in LA. Nonetheless there were many in the SFBA that supported it. The Olympics is sports married with show-business so it's perfect for LA. SF just has a different culture. You don't need to belittle one to embrace the other. Also I wouldn't say people were rejoicing about not getting the Lucas museum. Mostly they didn't care either way.

I wouldn't mind if LA has the Olympics again but only if the city can get infrastructure improvements that will service generations to come.