View Single Post
Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
Dubai has turned out nothing short of extraordinary. to say that is anything less than beautiful and awesome is just living in la la land. they have done so much for the art of skyscraper building and advanced city design. they have brought architecture into the 21st century. i applaud what they have done and are doing. with that said, they have also built their fair share of pure crap. also some of the towers are an exercise in what not to ever do but that can be said for any city in the entire world. the fact is Dubai has trounced the rest of the worlds cities big time and they deserve a big bow and thumbs up from all of us who love architecture and engineering in general. at least they have the balls to make a full-out effort toward building a true skyscraper city. after all, is that not the very thing that we who lurk these forms love. i know i do and so i take my hat off to them. bravo.
-
I think Dubai looks amazing from afar. Up close, the textures look pretty tacky. They would have been much wiser to be less ambitious in terms of the number of projects. Right now their occupancy rates are simply crippling. They went way too far, and sacrificed quality in the mean time. They also sacrificed safety. Google: dubai aluminum fire