View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 7:44 PM

Here's something I hadn't seen regarding I-10 widening (Big Bird and I were talking about "wish list" exactly the stuff covered in this FDOT webpage:

http://www.i10reevaluations.com/

"The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) has contracted with PBS&J to perform project reevaluations of two prior Project Development & Environment (PD&E) studies. The purpose of a project reevaluation is to verify that the results of the previously conducted study are in compliance with current applicable federal and state laws before the project moves into the production phase. Also reevaluations serve as a check on the commitments made by FDOT during the original studies. The reevaluation process is the only instrument available to fully document compliance with federal laws and any changes that may have occurred on a project since the approval of the original recommendations.

Following review of the reevaluation by FDOT and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the reevaluations will be revised for final review and acceptance by FDOT and FHWA. The reevaluations are expected to be completed in late summer 2008.

The first reevaluation will be based on the original PD&E study for I-10/I-110 in Escambia County, which was completed in May 2000. This reevaluation will consider design changes necessary for the widening of I-10 to six lanes from east of Davis Highway to the Escambia Bay Bridge. This reevaluation will also consider any changes to the I-10/Scenic Highway interchange, beyond those identified in the original I-10/I-110 PD&E Study, and will provide an updated assessment of a potential new interchange at 9th Avenue and I-10.

The second reevaluation will consider any changes since the Escambia Bay Bridge Replacement PD&E study approved in 2005 for the emergency replacement of the Escambia Bay Bridge and the widening of I-10 to six lanes on the bridge. Conceptual designs will also be developed for proposed improvements; specifically, widening I-10 to six lanes to east of the Avalon Boulevard interchange in Santa Rosa County and any necessary interchange modifications at Avalon Boulevard."

So basically the possibility of going ahead with 6-lanes all the way to Avalon Blvd and considering a 9th Avenue exit yet again. But check the "FAQ" button up top of the website to see this is merely an evaluation and only the start of the start of the start of ever actually doing any of this.