View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:20 AM

Absolutely no. That is the sad part of being in the Panhandle and why I've always been happy when you guys suggest NW Florida should be part of Alabama. Florida, as you know, went thru a massive population change based first on climate, then industry followed it, then incentives were introduced to grow it to the monster it is, more population, and now it is a bit like a mature adult not waving money at anyone as the population gets absurd in South Florida. But there are a couple of problems: 1) those South Florida companies are starting to look elsewhere (like Bama) for places that still want them amid taxes and standards of living that slowly rise...but that is a bit like hostage taking IMO. 2) The REAL problem that makes me hate the state I'm in....the panhandle was/is always the slow growth part of the state (but not necessarily compared to Bama). We got nothing! We were and are the afterthought if there ever was a thought. And now the rush is over and they STILL don't see a need to help this depressed stepchild area grow economically. If anything, they are happy it didn't as they have some imaginary concept this area is still pristine. They don't want us, I don't know why they don't actively pursue giving this land to Bama.

In fact about 6 counties in South Florida threatened to secede a few months ago if they couldn't get MORE of state money thrown at them (we were getting too much in the hick arse country bumpkin northern counties where people probably still die of polio and too much Family Dollar exposure).

I'm totally convinced that had NW Florida been a part of Alabama since 1930, the whole dynamic would have changed. 1) More awesome Beaches for Bama..people in New Jersey would actually have a better idea that Bama has great beaches. It would be known all over the world. 2) International Airport somewhere between Mobile and P'cola. 3) The motivation/resources to grow this area rather than shun it like the scum of the state. 4) More North/South interstate access. 5) More expansion of real manufacturing and less expansion of fat lazy retired elitist hippies retiring on a beach that hate the common person who gets a perfectly good degree from UWF in favor of blight!

Last edited by Muskavon; Jul 1, 2008 at 2:32 AM.