View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2009, 6:23 PM

Something similar happened to me yesterday downtown. I was about taking pictures then some security guards said, "Can you please not take any more pictures please?" What I was taking pictures of was the TELUS Plaza - a major Edmonton office building. On the site they have a small plaza, and I was around the edge of the plaza/beginning of the sidewalk. Any who they told me to stop taking pictures. It's so retarded because I was outside, and had I been on the sidewalk they wouldn't have said anything. Not to mention it's a plaza, sure it's "TELUS" property, but isn't that public space...like a park? It's like saying you can't take pictures in the park because it is owned by the City. I wonder if they would have gotten mad had I took pictures of other buildings from the plaza. Ugh - that's the first time that's happened to me. Probably had I gone during the day there wouldn't have been a problem because there never is. This I've heard happen in Vancouver, Portland, Calgary, and Edmonton - now it's happened to me. I don't even think it was against the law and it's not like I was doing anything criminal - I was just taking photographs of a skyscraper. I think Canada has similar laws to the ones you posted there. I will have to do a bit of research. But it is dumb. Photographer's have rights.

the photo i took (well the last i mean on telus plaza):