View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

A drive-through polio vaccine clinic held six decades ago in Glendale, California.

LIFE via THE WASHINGTON POST

This could be us in the near future.

Does anyone recall the Cutter Incident. It's a very interesting story and cautionary tale.
I remember lining up for the Sabin polio vaccine when I was 10 in 1962. They gave it in a little sugar cube which you swallowed. Swallowing a sugar cube was less scary to a kid than the Salk vaccine, which was a shot in the rump or arm. However, the Sabin vaccine used viruses that we're still partly alive, so once in a while (rare) some got polio symptoms. The Salk vaccine used killed viruses (except in the Cutter lab screwup), so it was generally a bit safer. But in recent decades I believe the Sabin-type vaccine with weakened (attenuated) viruses is the more commonly used because it is cheaper to produce and administer.

Had a rough day today. Lost my cat Maya, sweetest & smartest cat ever. Maya was very brave at the end and even purred and didn't complain. I hope I am as brave at my end. If there is a heaven I can't imagine a good God leaving the dogs and cats outside. Rest in peace sweet Maya. I will miss you dearly.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 8, 2020 at 7:47 AM.