View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Mobil Gas Station by Smith and Williams, Anaheim, CA. Photograph by Julius Shulman, 1955. © J. Paul Getty Trust.

Anaheim-Mobil-1956-julius-shulman
Today's Julius Shulman subject isn't new to NLA, but I thought it was worth posting the other four color photos from the set. It's "Job 2202: Mobil Station (Anaheim, Calif.), 1956". Does anyone recognize the car on the far right?

The colors vary a bit between shots. Unusually (for me!), I haven't changed them.

Competition wasn't far away - I spy a 76 sign on the far right.

The last images shows spare tires and lubrication, although that looks like an air hose in the man's hands.

All from Getty Research Institute

The gas station was also featured in post #24729 by e_r, which includes an aerial showing its proximity to Disneyland. I followed-up in post #24738 with a comparative aerial view showing how fleeting the gas station's existence was.

At the time of my original post (August 2013), I commented that "The most recent GSV image shows an empty lot with a "Walgreens Coming Soon" sign." I can't see a Walgreens sign yet, but as of June 2016, this 5-story building was nearing completion on the site.

GSV