View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 6:36 PM
Always A Classic

^ I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree.

The Northland area is far from irrelevant. Until 25 years ago or so, it was one of the region's premiere shopping areas and I still believe it has on of the regions self-designated flagship Macy's stores. I'm simply arguing that Northland represents the unabated trend of Southfield for the last fifteen years - retail quality and quantify decline. Moreover, the stores that replaced Tel-Twelve are solidly mid to low-middle class. With the exception of Meijer replacing a KMart the current incarnation represents a decline of what was there before.

And don't presume to know what I know about Southfield. I'm there often as I have several relatives and friends that live there - I'm betting more than you have. A few relatives live within walking (haha) distance of where this proposal would go. Maybe those who I know that live in Southfield has clouded my judgement, but to me it's clear that Southfield is suffering a serious decline. Detroit in 1975 still looked pretty good, had solidly middle class incomes, and there were still major retailers downtown and in the neighborhoods, but there were clearly serious issues. There is a reason many long-time Southfield residents have moved and many would-be residents of Southfield 20 years ago have skipped it for Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield.