View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 4:51 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
But a large chunk of that area (especially those near 14 mile and Woodward) are closer to Somerset and much closer to downtown Birmingham. And those living in northern Franklin/NW Southfield would probably be closer to stores in West Bloomfield.
You only get closer to Somerset when you get north of 13 Mile and east of Southfield. Everything else is closer to this site.

Quote:
Both the Village of Rochester Hills and Partridge Creek have higher end stores (although nothing like Somerset) than anything that can be supported at that location in Southfield.
Yes, despite the fact that this site is surrounded by 18,000 households with incomes of more than $75,000 and a median income somewhere in the $60,000 range. Just because you currently won't find higher end stores, doesn't mean they can't be viable.

Quote:
And I don't understand why you have so much hope for that project. The retail and restaurant scene in Southfield south of 696 (and in some parts north as well) has clearly been declining for more than 20 years.
As I stated above, I don't think this plan will follow through. I'm merely arguing that #1: the "decline" of Southfield (particularly the areas surrounding this site) is overstated, and that #2: the area has enough high end wealth to support a mid-luxury retail center on this site.

Quote:
Soon to be dead Northland Mall is only three miles away and closed Tel-Twelve was closer.
The Northland area is irrelevant. Northland is geared towards the lower end of the scale and caters mostly to Detroit residents. Also, you failed to mention that Tel-Twelve like many malls was converted into a (successful) power center. It is anchored by a Meijer, Lowe's and Best Buy as well as Office Depot, Pier 1, Michael's, DSW, PetSmart, etc.

I honestly don't think you have been through Southfield much aside from maybe the Northland area. That and the 8 Mile corridor are really the only truly depressed areas within the city. Everything else is fairly typical suburban. National retailers (who I'm sure are well versed on demographics) clearly have no problem opening in the city.