View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:33 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Plus, BART is not even close to standing room only at Millbrae or at the ends of the East Bay sections. So even if someone is going that full length, they'll be able to get seats for at least some of the journey (and possibly most of the actual time spent in the car).

The biggest need (by far) for BART right now is solving the massive capacity issues in the SF and inner East Bay stations, which the third door should help with.
Ehh, it's still pretty bad. Commute peak direction in the morning is standing room only from at least Lafayette, and it's the same in the afternoon from Powell until at least Lafayette. I think a huge chunk of people get on at Concord or Walnut Creek (especially the Danville/San Ramon/etc. types who drive up and park) and then it only gets worse from there. Evening trains are also packed, though that's mostly because of the Richmond line's earlier ending time. I can't speak for how packed the other lines are. But the third door will still be nothing but a good thing in getting peak trains to depart on time as well (I'm looking at you, Embarcadero at 5pm on a weekday).

Good thing I almost always take BART in the reverse peak direction!